21 April 2021

Ready for the Okayama 1200

 The 2020 Okayama 1200km randonée starts at 4am Saturday, delayed by almost exactly one year from the original plan. Fingers crossed as the government is now talking about Osaka and Tokyo “emergency declarations” for COVID-19 countermeasure from this weekend. Our ride route stays away from the big cities of Kansai and Kanto regions, so I hope the event will not be affected.  Today I shipped my “drop bags” to the hotels where I will spend a few hours for sleep each of three nights during the event, and finalized my bike prep.



My bike has three small bags — front bars, frame, and rear, as well as a clip-on rear fender that I will take as long as the forecast suggests a risk of rain at times. The bike still feels light and balanced. I will also have a very small rucksack.

The front bag is simple, small, and new. It will never be this white again. I decided I want a bag where I can stow food to eat on the bike, as I need to go 350kms each of the first two days. I need to be very very careful not to do my usual schtick of pushing too hard the first 100-200kms, or I will never get to 700km in two x 16 hour days on the bike. So I need to shorten my rest stops and rest on the bike some. 

Anyway, an adventure awaits!

No comments: