30 July 2021

On the Podium at Shuzenji!

The Olympic cross country mountain biking was held this week at the Japan Cycle Sports Center (CSC) in Shuzenji, on a devilishly steep constant up-and-down course carved out of the hillside and in part overlapping the infamous paved Shuzenji circuit. Yes, riders have died on this circuit — I specifically recall one who missed a turn and flew into a tree 15 years ago. Curtains. And Matthieu van der Poel took a bad tumble this week from his mountain bike.

Tom Pidcock rode brilliantly for the GB win that day, while the next day the Swiss women placed 1, 2, and 3 to sweep the medals!

I could not help but be reminded of Positivo Espresso’s brilliant podium finish at Shuzenji CSC in July, 2007, when a team of David J., Tom S., MOB, and I, achieved a 3rd place in the Men’s 4-person team 5-hour Enduro. It was a brutally difficult event, in sauna-like conditions. With the Tokyo 2020 Olympics this week, I think the plastic trophy that I still I hold in trust for my teammates may have just appreciated a wee bit in value. Maybe that’s not plastic? Maybe it is bronze!

The Positivo Espresso club (and blog) were established a few months later, November 2007, and, well, the rest is history!





No comments: