10 October 2022

Bikepacking, Japanese style - SR600 Joumou Sanzan

Bikepacking Japan style - I pack and ship a box, and ride my bike.

Today (Oct 10) is Sports Day, celebrated since 1964 on the opening day of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. Except most weeks in recent years the holiday is shifted to the 2nd Monday in October, to allow a 3-day weekend. This year the calendar lines up with the original day ... which also happens to be my birthday.

As part of my birthday week, I want to try a second SR600 for the year -- the Fukushima SR600 back in May was such a memorable ride (Part 1 and Part 2 reports). I chose the Gunma "Joumou Sanzan" course, because, like the Fukushima one, it is easy to get to from Tokyo, and yet will involve plenty of roads that are new to me ... though it also has sections around Takasaki and Annaka that are very familiar. Jerome will also join ... though it looks as if work is getting in the way of him doing the entire ride and at this point he will do the first long day (260km+ and over 6000m of climbing), then head back to Tokyo at some point Thursday from either Joumou Kogen or Takasaki.

Not much flat riding on this 600kms. Don't want to carry extra gear!

How much gear will I need to take for a ride that starts 5AM Wednesday, ends sometime on Friday, between 50 and 60 hours later, involves mountain passes as high as 1600m elevation in autumn, as well as a not-insignificant chance of rain? Well, not so much.

We will stay in a business hotel Tuesday night near the start, and Wednesday night at the Itoen Hotel Shima (breakfast included) in a mountain onsen town in northern Gunma. I will send a small box with a change of clothing, extra Clif bars, some spare tubes, and a 10,000 mAh battery, to the hotel.  What does it cost to ship a box like that for next day delivery in northern Gunma via the premier delivery service, Yamato Express?  830 yen, or around $5.75.


When I get to the hotel to check in, they just hand me the box. I replace items I am wearing or have on the bike with me with what is in the box, and hand the box back to the hotel staff with the pre-filled mailing label that I put inside it when I sent it. That label is for 着払い - payment on receipt - so I don't need to fork over any cash at the hotel or worry if I leave before the front desk opens.

The hotel charge for a tatami room that sleeps 4 (but in this case will be used by the two of us), plus breakfast for two, is around 12,400 yen, or $86, $43 each. And comes with a lovely onsen.  Not bad.

So I will ride with one rear Rixen Kaul bag attached to my seatpost, and a small Deuter Race rucksack. I'll leave my rinko bag in a locker at Takasaki Station (another couple dollars equivalent) and travel light.

Much of the course is quite remote ... but start and finish sections are not.


No comments: