19 August 2026

300km Saitama/Ibaraki early season brevet -- dry weather, relatively easy course, some headwinds but a decent ride

Shortly after getting back to Japan in February, I joined a February 22 Saitama Audax 300k brevet from Iruma to Oarai Kaigan and back. 

There is not really too much to say about this one.  It was a mostly boring, flat, North Kanto winter course, on relatively busy roads until after dark. The weather was dry, not too cold, and the main difficulties were a headwind on the first third of the return trip, and some exhaustion and stomach/foot pain also during that leg. Once the wind and traffic died down, I could easily roll it home.

I saw a few familiar riders, and chatted with some I would see again on the 1000km (Tomatsuri-san) during Golden Week. But it was mostly just a training exercise.  I finished in 17 hrs 15 min, so with 2 hours and 45 minutes to spare ... but it was not a fast time given the easy course and dry conditions. Still, I can live with it.

Start briefing under the bridge at Iruma - standard for Saitama Audax


Stopped at a train crossing -- ruined my record attempt!


A winter's day at the beach - Oarai

Lunch.


On the return now, but still low lying areas of Ibaraki.
 
I could not hang on the back for long ... I was fading.

The road continues after sunset.


No comments: