19 August 2026

A Fleche too far

Having had no difficulties with my winter 200 and 300km events, I joined a Fleche team for the first time in many years. Andrei O and Todd P wanted to try a Fleche, and the roped in Jerome, me and others. We got Yutaka Moriwaki-san and Tanaka-san to join as well, both seasoned and strong randonneurs who could help the foreigners to avoid major rule violations and other disasters. 

In the end, we split into two teams of 5 riders each. I was on the "B" team with Tanaka-san and three others (Jeff L., Bas, and Hitesh). Jerome was on the "A" team with Yutaka, Andrei, Todd and Jerome's compatriot Antoine.

Our start was in Jooetsu, finish in Yoyogi Park. We would go east through Niigata foothills to Echigo Yuzawa, then climb over Mikuni Pass and descend into Gunma before doing a fishhook to the east then south, then west, to end up in Tokyo.  The "B" team started earlier, and the "A" team picked a much hillier route in a few places. We never saw them on the course.

The forecast was for vicious winds and rain much of our 24 hour ride. I would have stayed in Tokyo with a DNS but for the team nature of the proceedings! I suspec others felt the same. The highlight of the weekend was a pre-ride dinner, a chance to catch up with Yutaka and Tanaka-san after far too long. 

Yutaka, Jeff, Jerome, and Tanaka-san at our pre-ride dinner

A fleche should really be done by a team who ride together regularly, rather than a group who have never done so. Nonetheless, the B team managed to muddle through okay to Echigo Yuzawa.We had vicious headwind/crosswinds as soon as we left Naoetsu, but they were manageable until we pointed our bicycles to the south and started the climb toward Mikuni Pass.  

At the designated start.

I could not keep up with the group on the long slog of a climb. I told them to go ahead, struggling onward by myself. This should have triggered an individual DNF for me ... for not riding with the group, but I kept going, hoping I would be able to catch them.  The rain was quite cold now, the headwind vicious.  

Inland hills of Niigata. Bas ahead.

Jeff, Hitesh, and Tanaka-san behind.

I came out of some massive snow-cover-sheds on the climb, around the corner, and could barely make forward motion. I laughed ... it was ridiculous.  Eventually, after passing Naeba, I called Tanaka-san. He said they were just at the tunnel.  Ahh, I thought -- they were too far ahead, no way I could catch up.  I told him they should go on without me. 

At Echigo Yuzawa. Now the really hard part.

Just before the rain hit us.

I got back on the bike and continued the climb. ... the mouth of the tunnel was actually a lot closer than I had thought, maybe only 2~3 kms, and the climb was less steep than some earlier parts. Oh well. 

After emerging on the Gunma side I was getting cold - soaked to the bone and, although in theory I was going down a hill, the road seemed quite flat and there was still a headwind.  It was getting dark. Finally I got to the Sarugakyo Onsen town and the Lawson convenience store sitting above Lake Akaya. This is a nice place to stop and sit outside on a warm day. Not now. There was no place to sit inside, and I was cold and soaking wet, but I could stand and warm up a bit sipping soap. 

The forecast was for rain off and on the next hour or two, then constant rain until maybe 5-6AM. I was glad I fell behind and did not face the all-night ride in the rain. I took advantage of the lull in the rain to get to Jomo Kogen station and hop the shinkansen back to Tokyo.  I had done 80% of the climbing ... and 37% of the distance for the event. The rest of the team rolled it home and finished within the time/distance requirements. ... having ridden most of the night in moderate or heavy rain. Chapeau. 

I learned that the "A" team had had its own issues. Jerome and Yutaka had fallen a bit behind, and they ended up passing the others and continuing ahead to the Mikuni Pass tunnel. ... where they forgot to wait to snap the obligatory 5-person checkpoint group photo.  The two of them DNFed and rode straight back toward Tokyo, Yutaka sleeping at Jerome's place. Andrei, Todd, and Antoine successfully finished.

In the morning, I rode to Yoyogi and welcomed the teams at the finish. 

Will I do a fleche again in the future? Perhaps. But if I do, I'll try to plan something with the lowest degree of difficulty, and I won't make it my first ride with the group in a long time.

Tanaka-san, Bas, Jeff, and Hitesh, with me.



My route. ... 80%+ of the climbing, 37% of the distance.




No comments: