22 July 2021

Cycling Amenities Growing in Japan ... Fuji Cyclegate at Suruga Oyama Station

Yesterday, as I did an "Olympic road racers recon ride" (they were doing recon for the race, I was doing recon to catch a glimpse of some of them) ... I was impressed by how much the selection of Doshi Michi and Mt. Fuji area as the site of the Tokyo 2020 (err 2021) road race seems to have made the region wake up and realize that they have lots and lots of people cycling there on weekends, and they ought to offer a bit of a welcome and acknowledgement.


I planned to hop the shinkansen to Odawara (634am departure/700am arrival) and go from there, ... but it was a beastly hot day yesterday, so I looked for a way to avoid slogging from Odawara up to Oyama. After I exited the shinkansen, I walked up the steps to the Odakyu Line. ... There was a 708am express (急行) leaving toward Shinjuku in a few minutes that would stop at Kaisei and Shin-Matsuda, saving me 10km of sea level riding by about 10 minutes on the train. I hopped on and got off at Shin-Matsuda ... and walked across the street to the JR station ... there was a 723am local heading in Gotemba/Numasu direction ... I had to fight through a crowd walking the other direction on the platform, but made it onto that train and got off at Suruga-oyama station (駿河小山駅) just after 740AM. The stop looked a bit closer to my destination, if lower, than the next one (Ashigara), and I have been through Ashigara several times so through I would try it.  This starting point put me at 275m elevation, ahead of the heat all morning heading toward 1130m elev, with the climb through field and forest via Oyama toward Subashiri. It also avoided the need to ride a few lower stretches on the shoulder of Route 246.

As I took my bike out of the rinko bag and put the wheels back on, a gentleman approached and introduced himself. He said he was from the local tourist association and pointed to a nice new wooden building across the street. He welcomed me and handed me a pin. He said "these are for cyclists who come here via train to ride". Indeed, the pin read "駿河小山駅輪行記念" -- Suruga Oyama Station Rinko Commemorative!!!  A badge designed just for me. Wow. I thanked him, completed the bike assembly, and headed out. As the only cyclist to exit the station that morning, I had mixed emotions. As I passed the empty building from which he had emerged, I could see it had a cycling theme and what looked like some kids bikes and mamacharis on display, as well as bike racks in front. It is the Fuji Cyclegate. Next time, I will check it out thoroughly. (There is apparently a direct train from Shinjuku to Gotemba that would stop here, for those of you not near Shinagawa).

Suruga Oyama Tourist Association Welcomes Rinko Cyclists!

Up at Yamanakako, and on Doshi Michi, of course, there are now cycling themed cafes, sculpture work, every restaurant or store has at least one cycle rack ... and they will sorely miss the crowds that they expected for the actual Olympic events this weekend. 


At Yamanakako - end of Doshimichi

The bike's too small for him, ... and the seat looks a bit painful!


As I descended upper Doshimichi, I passed a small grassy area beside the road on the left side which had at least 20 wooden cycle racks in a few lines ... places for the spectators to park their bikes as they watched the race. ...  the empty racks a sad reminder of a no-spectator event. I hope those racks will get repurposed and donated to parks, stores, and cafes nearby. 

A newly opened establishment on Doshimichi, just a km below the Michi-no-eki.
It had VERY minimal food offerings and coffees, but a large section of frozen food cases with meat for a massive BBQ party. ... I hope that they up their game a bit so it is worth a food stop.

Postscript: I went back later in the week and rode in the opposite direction up Doshimichi, over Mikuni Pass (the easy side) and down to the Odakyu Line. I stopped again at Suruga Oyama to actually check out the rinko-rider facility. They have lockers to stow a change of clothes and free showers (available 8Am to 6PM), and even sell spare tubes for road bikes in their vending machine outside ... accessible 24-7 should you need one. And if you are a non-cyclist, they also have some rental bikes, helmets, etc. 

A good jumping-off point for riding near Ashigara or Gotemba. 











1 comment:

CM said...

Will Doshi Michi be closed tomorrow and Saturday, do you know?