08 March 2011

Moser Leader AX Frame

Ah, a Francesco Moser bike.....
Moser Leader AX Evolution Frame Size 56 cm. A typical Italian engineered product: Beautiful design, top notch engineering and some miserable details: integrated quil-stem for teh saddle post.

 "Unifork" , according to Hiroshi this qualifies the bike from selling in Japan. But...
... the fork is open at the drop-outs. I guess this is due to weight savings? Or just sloppy craftmanship?
Of course, a bike like this must be equipped with Campagnolo components. Old Athena head set.

This is a used frame and it has some wounds.
Dedacciai tubing. "Modern" steel technology. Forget Columbus, Reynolds or Oria.
The integrated seat post design. Looks alomst like an aluminium frame.
Some work to be done.
But generally the frame is in good conditions. Although perhaps not good enough for Japan.

Wishbone type brake bracket.

A wonderful frame indeed and I would really love to built it into a complete new bike with modern components. But the frame size is just too small.

I came out of the garage (aka as area 51) yesterday and just by chance my wife as arrived with the family car. She noted the Project Galibier and said "Oh, another bike, is this not your third one?" It was a classical situation, first I wanted to mutter somethinga long the lines "Well, it isn't like it looks like, please let me explain...." But then I realised that my wife has missed purchase of #3, #4, #5 and #6 so I could answer with gusto: "No, this is not my third bike!".

Anyway, there is hardly place in the garage left.

No comments: