27 April 2009

IZU CLUB RIDE MAY 5TH

Mount Fuji as seen from the road on Western Izu autumn 2008

We are scheduling a club ride down South on Izu Hanto during the Golden Week. Here is the plan:

07.15 Meet at Shinagawa Station, Shinkansen Entrance

07.34 Departure Kodama 635

08.20 Arrival Mishima Station
08.45 Start riding in direction Shimoda along West Izu coast [proposed route]
12.30 Lunch break somewhere, somehow
13.30 Crossing the famous Jaishi Toge

Going up Jaishi Toge can be very hard with a bowl of ramen in your stomach

16.00 Arrival Shimoda
, Visit Kanaya hot spring :
20.37 Last train leaves Rendaiji (station next to Kanaya) for Shinagawa
23.09 Arrival Shinagawa

Alternative 1
: Return the same day home. Perhaps we can squeeze in a dinner at Sunny Side as well.


Alternative 2
: Have dinner at Sunny Side Cafe at Shimoda Beach, stay the night at James's house (if OK with James, so this is still open, also depending on feedback)

Some more cycling the next day, to be decided on the spot. Return by train to Tokyo then in the afternoon.

What you would need :

- Bicycle bag, repair stuff, tube, pomp, wind breaker, you know, the usual stuff.
- Definitely lots of CO2 cartridges - Izu is a jinxed place

WHO IS JOINING SO FAR ?

The West Izu Team in 2006

Yes, for sure : michael (1 day), Michael (open)
I think so : David (1 day), James, Ben

If anybody else is interested, please post in the comments section. In case we have the chance to do a two day trip we need to do some preparations :

- Luggage per takyubin to Shimoda
- Grill reservation with Sunny Side
- Shinkansen tickets (anyway it is GW)


Hurry up, there is not much time left.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to join the one day version of this ride, again!

David L.

James said...

I am a doubtful. I will know more after the weekend.

mob said...

Update :

There was not so much interest for the two day version, so we will stick with the one day plan.

So far, the following members have shown their interest :

michael, Graham, David, Stephen and me.

Let's discuss details on the weekend.

mob said...

I am very sorry but I have to leave Japan on Wednesday for a short trip to Switzerland. As I need to do some preparations before, I will not be able to organize the Izu trip on Tuesday.

As far as I know, michael, Stephen, David and Graham have indicated their interest to ride; would it be possible that you organize this trip on your own provided you still want to go?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

David L. said...

Well, at this point Stephen C. and I are the only likely riders for Tuesday (tomorrow), but the weather forecast is very iffy -- 40% chance of rain in the morning and 60% in the afternoon in Izu (70% in Tokyo). So I officially declare the Izu Club Ride May 5 2009 edition CANCELLED.

Let's try it in summer when it is ridiculously humid, so we can get the true pleasure of collapsing on Jaishi Touge (Snake Rock Pass), and enjoy swimming at Shimoda!