29 June 2014

Body Heat

A report came out last week indicating that, by the end of the 21st century, climate change could make it too hot on many days to engage in strenuous exercise outside in large parts of the United States without death.  With the air temperature over 95 degrees fahrenheit and high humidity, the body cannot cool sufficiently, heat stroke or heat exhaustion and death result.
Beautiful clear air after much rain.  The Tamagawa path.  Air like a brick.
Of course, the group behind the report is just a bunch of crazy left wing environmentalists with Risk Committee and Co-Chairs such as George Schultz (Secretary of State to President Reagan), Hank Paulson (ex Goldman Sachs CEO, Secretary of Treasury to George W. Bush), and Olympia Snowe (former Republican Senator from Maine).

It has been cool and wet recently in Tokyo, but today, just as I headed out for a mid-day spin, the sun shown through clouds, temperatures soared and humid air was like a brick.  If this is what Risky Business is predicting for much of the world during much of the year 50~75 years from now, I don't like it at all.

But I needed to get in a decent ride.  Two weekend "make up" classes for each of the two courses I have been teaching at Keio, and lots of rain, have kept me away from the bike far too much.

Also, I just did a major makeover of Voyage Voyage (the Ti Travel Bike to get it ready for Hokkaido 1200 -- finally moving over my Shimano 7800/6600/6700 and "Retroshift" components, redoing the bar tape, etc.  I rode it to work on Thursday, made some significant Retroshifter adjustments, and was glad to find the adjustments worked and shifting is smooth.   I can understand why Hiroshi does not like the Retroshift, but now that I have gotten used to them, I do not mind them at all.  I think having large hands, which can envelope the shifters and brake lever, helps.  I have no worries about shifting vs. braking -- it is easy to do both.  And if I should ever break a cable, it will be easy to replace.
Voyage Voyage is ready for the Hokkaido 1200.  2 x1 liter water bottles and tool kit in the 3rd bottle carrier.  
I made it down Onekan and the "Tank Road", and back again.  There were plenty of other roadies out, taking advantage of the rare sight of dry pavement and blue sky to get in a ride.  At a convenience store stop just after the turn-around, a number of us shared complaints about the humidity as I ate some ice cream and refilled my bottles (with the remainder of the water going onto my head or down my back for cooling effect).
Hydrangeas along the tank road
End of the (Tank) Road looking out to the NW
Of course, a few hours after I returned home, a thunderstorm rolled through, the streets were damp again and the temperature mercifully cooled.

2 comments:

Ἀντισθένης said...

'Voyage Voyage' is a fine looking ride. I am green with envy over the bike, and you riding the 1200. What's your fender plan? That's a long ride and this is a wet country...

I changed a road bike for randonneuring... but then had two kids. I have made very little use of it, but this is my cheap as possible version.

http://hanlonsrzr.blogspot.jp/2014/06/lemond-croix-de-fer-credit-card-tourer.html

David Litt said...

Thanks for the comment. Your randonneur looks great. Nothing wrong with as cheap as possible.

My fender plan is ... check the long range forecast and then if rain is likely during the event use the SKS Race Blace long slip on/off fenders. If only minimal or no rain likely (actually possible for Hokkaido in July ...) then I will get by with the blade or just risk it with my rear seat bag to protect my derriere.