22 March 2022

Attack Mitsumine Shrine -- RAMAX Maximum Adventure Ride (and Hike); Served by a Robot

Bike & Hike

Jerome (in road shoes w/ cleat covers)

Nice view ... from 1200 meters elevation.

Saitama Audax brevets are usually named "Attack [place name]". Jerome's first 600km ride was, I believe, the 2011 version of "Attack Nihonkai" -- we rode from Iruma-shi (Saitama) to the southern outskirts of Niigata-shi on the Sea of Japan, and back. Yesterday, we were scheduled to ride the Saitama "Attack Ashitaka" (アタック愛鷹) 300km brevet. Mt. Ashitaka is on the southern shoulder of Mt. Fuji. The route for this event heads SW from Iruma through Oume, Takao, and Sagamihara cities, then climbs up to Yamanakako via Doshimichi, over Yamabushi and then Kagozaka Passes, descends to Gotemba, then goes around the large volcanic cone-shaped Mt. Ashitaka by climbing up to Fuji Safari Park and then descending the far side down to the Sagami Bay ... before returning all the way to the start in Iruma. Indeed, this was the same course that Jerome and I rode last October.  I was definitely out of shape then, and there was a lot of climbing (and a couple hours of cold hard rain). It took me 19 hours out of the 20 hr time limit to finish. I was hoping we could shave an hour or more off that time.  

This weekend, Jerome had done another long ride on Saturday (200km plus more to/from the start/goal), so he was hoping to string two one-day rides together as preparation for a multi-day event like Cascade 1400.

We got to the start under Toyomizubashi in Iruma around 630AM via Jerome's car ... and no one was there. Checking the organizers' website, we saw a notice from nearly two weeks ago that the event had been postponed ... just like last weekend's 200km brevet by a different organizer, and Jerome's 400km Chiba ride last month. Other audax events have gone ahead without postponement ... indeed, I had checked the event's webpage, even downloaded the most recent cue sheet, just the day before, but I had not checked the general Saitama Audax "news and events" page where I would have found the notice. After apologizing to Jerome, we discussed what we would do. There we were in Iruma, 50km NW of our typical starting point, before 7AM on a Sunday of a 3-day holiday weekend. We quickly dismissed the idea of riding the 300km Mt. Ashitaka course. It passed many areas that are within riding distance of our homes. If instead we headed further west or northwest, we could ride territory that is out of reach for a typical day ride from west central Tokyo.

I suggested we head west toward Chichibu, go over one of the passes that avoids the tunnel on Route 299 (Shomaru Pass or Karibazaka Pass), then try Mitsumine Shrine to the far WSW of Chichibu City. If we got through with that string of climbs quickly (midday) and the weather held ... we might even try Saitama Route 210 through the wilds of deep western Saitama to Shigasaka Pass, and return back. We had never done Mitsumine, nor Route 210, by bicycle. (I had been to the shrine once by motor vehicle, as 99% of the arrivals travel).

Leaving Rte 299 for the climb to Shomaru Pass

RAMAX leaning

Jerome arrives at Shomaru Pass

Jerome was slow starting out, no doubt due to his long ride on Saturday. I had the rare experience of easily leading him up the Shomaru climb and waiting at the top. We quickly descended into Chichibu City and found a Gusto family restaurant for breakfast along our route. We ordered a "volume" breakfast set from a touchpad at the table. A robot brought our food. It thanked us after we took our trays from its shelves, then happily returned toward the kitchen area.  This was a new experience for both of us. Wow, I thought, I had no idea Gusto was using robot servers. I felt out of date, behind the times. The only human interactions were when we entered the restaurant (someone told us to sit anywhere we liked), and when I paid.  I asked the employee how long they had been using the robot. She hesitated and seemed to be considering carefully the right response. "Nine days", she finally said.  Okay, at least I did not feel so behind the times anymore.

Serving robot leaves after thanking us.

We headed WSW taking a parallel road to Route 140 through much of SW Chichibu City. It had almost no traffic. Eventually the road ended and we rejoined Rte 140. A bit further on we pulled into the Arakawa michi-no-eki for a restroom break. As I returned to the bicycles, Jerome was talking with a woman cyclist. she had an Audax reflective vest, and a reflective triangle "slow vehicle" symbol as well. She told Jerome she had just come from Mitsumine Shrine. She was doing a Nihombashi Audax 300km ride that had NOT been cancelled. (Instead, they stretched out the start times to avoid any crowd or gathering at the start/goal.) She had started alone or nearly so in the middle of the night, ridden from central Tokyo, climbed Mitsumine Shrine (elev ~1000m) in what must have been quite cold temperatures and was on her way back. Respect. 

We saw a few other Nihombashi audax riders headed back as we continued toward Mitsumine. But we had a different plan. Mitsumine can have heavy traffic on a narrow road. So some riders take a different route on the other (NE) side of the mountain all the way up to around 1220m elevation, through a short tunnel, and descend to the shrine at just over 1000m.  Indeed, this route has even been used for a hill climb race at times in the past. Our plan was to take this rindo, then after a quick lunch at the shrine, to descend the main road.

Onto the climb - beautiful and empty road.

We found the turnoff and started the climb. Jerome lagged -- unusually -- his fatigue from the day before still showing. It was a lovely road -- wide, empty, and not TOO steep -- all the way up a valley to a "fishing spot" (釣り場) that had a parking lot full of cars. From there, the road turned up steeply and was blocked by some "no way through" signs and pylons. On the left side, however, there was a note that visitors to Taiyou-ji temple should move the barriers and proceed. 

Lots of these signs up here.

On the left side is the note that visitors to Taiyou-ji may proceed.

A nice spot to rest and wait a bit for a tired Jerome

I rode to the next switchback, where there was a babbling brook and I could wait for Jerome in the sunlight. The next segment was to the turn off for Taiyou-ji. Here was another gate across the road we would take. There was a helpful sign that the road led to a trailhead for the climb up Mt. Kirimogamine. 


We continued, but soon found sections where the road was covered with snow, only tire tracks exposed. We could ride in the tracks, but needed to be careful and watch for icy patches. In some places, the snow was a bit deeper and crustier, and so riding into the edge of the track would be dangerous. We proceeded slowly, walking at times.


No more tire tracks ... only an animal.

Finally we passed the Kiromogamine trailhead, marked by a small gazebo/picnic table. The tire tracks ended here and the road headed around a bend so it was on a north facing slope that did not get sunlight. On the next snowy section there were only ... animal tracks. Deer? I saw three further up the hill. Bear? We saw MANY bear warning signs but no bears... perhaps the local bears were still hibernating. Or else they had awoken and were very hungry?

From here, the last 2+ kms to the tunnel through the mountain, we would walk the entire way, sometimes pushing and sometimes carrying our bikes where the snow got deeper.  


More animal tracks

I was glad to have MTB shoes. Jerome, meanwhile, had road shoes with rubber covers on his Look Keo cleats. Not ideal for this long a walk! But we made it. It was a long traverse, it was cold at 1200m elevation in the snow, it was not so easy to walk carrying a bike. But it was never so far, nor so cold, nor so hard that we considered turning back. The vista was spectacular, its own reward. I am afraid that the average speed for our ride ... dropped pretty precipitiously on this climb. On Strava I could see that I was the third fastest to do the climb this year ... out of three. The other two were recorded in early January, before the snowfall, and must have just ridden up at a good pace.

Once through the short tunnel, we could quickly descend the rindo to Mitsumine. There were plenty of snowy stretches still, but on this side the snow on the road was wet and at most a few centimeters deep. We could ride through it downhill being careful not to go too fast, nor to brake or turn suddenly. We knew we were approaching the shrine when we came to another closed gate ... and a huge parking lot full of cars. 

Outer gate to the Mitsumine Shrine complex

We went up the path toward the shrine entrance and found a cafeteria full of visitors. There were three bicycles together out front. No audax rear-triangles, but they looked as if they might be part of our extended Audax family.  Sure enough, we entered to find Messrs. Minoda (Aoba organizer), Tachibana (Gunma organizer) and Shimura. Shimura-san's bike was a beautiful titanium SEVEN, with his name painted on the top tube. Minoda-san we have known a long time from Aoba rides and as a local -- I would come across him on his daily commute down (then up) the Tamagawa Kawasaki occasionally when I lived near Futako Tamagawa. Tachibana-san I've also met before on rides. I follow him on Strava and am always amazed to see him racking up 200km+ rides on a typical weekend. He has already gone over 9,000 kms this year ... a significant share of that on Zwift.

Messrs Shimura, Minoda, and Tachibana

On the veranda

I think Jerome and I burned a few more calories than they did on the climb!

Jerome and I could only get a seat quickly on the veranda outside ... but we could warm ourselves by the wood stove inside then sip hot tea as we waited for our food, and were relieved that the glass wind barrier kept it quite warm even on the veranda outside of the restaurant. The other three audax riders said farewell and headed down the hill and we relaxed and finished our meal. 

We got on our bikes and started down the hill ... first passing what seemed like at least a kilometer long line of cars waiting patiently to enter the parking lot. I was glad we had come up the rindo, and very glad not to be arriving there by motor vehicle. Most of the descent was fast ... switchbacks that were long enough to gather up good speed yet still brake in plenty of time for the curve.  On the RAMAX, I could descent with confidence, the disk brakes working like a charm. After we were more than halfway down, the road narrowed. At points we waited behind a car that had stopped to let opposing traffic pass. Jerome said "they need a more powerful politician." Indeed, this route gets enough traffic so it would seem to merit some sky bridges like Yanagisawa Pass on Route 411! 

I'm thankful I did not drive here.

In any event, at the bottom of the hill, there was a red light and a line of cars, just before the road narrows to a single lane to cross over the spillway of a dam. Jerome went ahead and I followed. We were almost across when the line of opposing traffic came at us ... but there was plenty of room for two bicycles to slide by without inconveniencing them. We saved at least 5 minutes right there. Further down the hill we can to another long 3-way traffic signal ... and were able to move by the cars, to the front of the line ... and there we met the three riders who had left at least ten minutes ahead of us. 

I'm on the drops in front.

The five of us rode together to Chichibu. Jerome and I could hang with them well on the gradual downhill ... but we lost contact on the flat stretch going into town, riding along a line of cars. Those guys are all very strong riders! We caught them again ... as they waited at a light, and said our farewells. They were heading back to town via 299 and Yamabushi Pass. We were heading in a large arch to Yorii and then down along the east side of the mountains back to Hanno/Iruma.

The rest of the ride was ... around 25 kms arching to the north/east, parallel to the Arakawa as it flows from Chichibu City through Nagatoro and to Yorii, then another 40+kms to the southeast via Ogawamachi, Ogose, Moroyama, Hidaka, Hanno, and finally to Iruma. By far the longest stretch was heading southeast on Saitama Route 30, a very familiar road. Finally, we turned off onto Saitama Route 262 for the last stretch into Iruma ... the short ups and downs on this stretch reminded me of past Saitama brevets starting at Toyomizubashi, even that 2011 "Attack Nihonkai".  

Across the road from our convenience store food stop in Chichibu City

Near dusk, passing Yorii

We made excellent time on the last 65kms ... with Jerome pulling or at least leading much of the last 40 from Yorii back to Iruma, because he had his iphone attached to his handlebars and had the route visible, whereas I did not have it in my Wahoo. But other than a brief stretch where I felt as if I were "riding-while-digesting" after food stops in Chichibu City in both directions, I felt pretty strong the entire day. The RAMAX is now officially dialed-in and is very comfortable. With the Panaracer Gravel King 700x28 tires, it both climbed and descended very nicely. With a 120mm stem, my body position is just right. Nothing ached after 185kms and 2300m of climbing. The bike continued to feel comfortable for the long cruising stretch back to Iruma.  The only pain I suffered alld ay was some "hot foot" later in the ride, but a minor tweak to the location of the right shoe's cleat seemed to resolve that entirely.

The RAMAX model name means "Randonneuring Adventure MAXimum" ... and today we did our best to live up to that.


7 comments:

Steve T said...

Great read, David! I love that approach up to Mitsumine and it's a very lonely climb once you see those Beware of the Bear signs :) Glad you've reminded me of it though looking at the state of it I will definitely be waiting a more weeks before going up there.
That's a serious distance you did, especially with the "hikling". What is the biggest contributor to the comfort in your new RAMAX do you think? I ask because I am actually considering replacing my long-term Ti Enigma for a carbon endurance bike instead (eg. Giant Defy), with the intention of increasing comfort .....

David Litt said...

Hi Steve, ... I think that the comfort comes from the total system. I find a Ti Frame is pretty close to a steel frame in terms of ride quality and comfort (though it can be lighter/stiffer), and can be very comfortable when paired with a nice carbon fork, a bit of setback on the seat and, most important, wheels/tires that allow slightly lower pressures. The hydroformed/shaped tubing may help to add stiffness without adding weight or detracting from comfort? The frame has a bit higher stack -- a less aggressive/more endurance oriented riding position, but I don't think that has a big impact on comfort for me. In fact, I find myself riding in the drops more than on a bike with a lower front end. And the BB seems a bit higher off the ground -- cyclocross -- than on a pure road bike, but that also should not affect comfort. The main differences with my 10-yr old Ti frame from a are the hydroformed tubes and the ability to fit much wider tires. The rim/tire combination I used for Mitsumine (Velocity Aileron wide rims and 700x28 Panaracer Gravel King tires) are definitely a lot more comfortable than a higher pressure, narrower rims/tires. The 700x36 Challenge Gravel Grinders even more so.
I think this tire pressure calculator is great ... it shows that for poor pavement and a mid-range casing tire with tube, for maximum speed I would run 83/81psi with a 25mm wide tire, 70/68psi with a 28mm wide tire, 62/61psi with 30mm, or 47/45.5 with a 36mm wide tire.
https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form

David Litt said...

Here is an interview with Josh Poertner of Silca (formerly of Zipp) on the question of tire pressure ... lower is faster as well as more comfortable on most surfaces.
https://youtu.be/ZuxUWFziuGI

David Litt said...

One other comment regarding comfort. Both this and my old Ti bike have a seat tube for a 31.6mm post. That offers a lot of stiffness ... but on my other Ti bike, I felt it was sometimes too stiff, so I use a a 27.2mm seatpost and an adapter. And I have a lot of setback on my seat. With that, road bumps and vibrations get pretty effectively diffused before they get to my butt and the rest of my body. On the RAMAX, I am using a 31.6mm post without the adapter, and have slightly less setback, but it does not feel harsh at all. I guess the seat stays are dropped a bit lower on the seat tube on the RAMAX, and that adds a bit of compliance ... but there must be something else going on as well. Perhaps the seatstays and chainstays are slightly different shape to allow wider tire clearance, or slightly less beefy? And the fatter tires with lower pressure, of course.

SteveT said...

Thanks for the detailed reply David - really useful. I've been a convert to wide rims since I got my first set of HEDs 13 years ago. I have been running a set of custom pacenti rims for the last number of years. Recently I've (just!) managed to fit 28mm tires, but with just 1~2mm clearance in the front there is a lot of stopping to clear out dirt/snow/ice/leaves depending on the season. One thing I realized though is that they are *very* stiff - I asked for them to be built "rindo-proof" and they certainly are: 28 spokes rear, 20 front, which is perhaps overkill for my 70kg, even with the lower tyre pressures I run (now down to F/R 55/60 PSI). So I wonder, maybe the stiff wheels have been the main contributor to the discomfort...?
The point about 31.6mm post is interesting - that's what I have, but my Enigma has a true horizontal top-tube which means there's relatively little seat post showing - already a lot of setback and even with a 27.2mm with shim I can't envision much improvement in comfort.
Still, it is a sublime ride when I'm fresh. I've only really noticed the discomfort over the last couple years since I've started cycling through the city's backroads to/from the mountains - I think those roads wear me down more than the rindos with lots of uneven resurfacing and half-arsed pothole repairs.
Thanks for the links David. My first stop is going to be a proper bike fit, and at the same time get measurements for a new bike, just in case I do decide to pull the trigger .... :) Cheers !

Manfred von Holstein said...

Hi Steve, my own experience over many years is that what matters most is the seating position and the tire pressure. The seating position is largely determined by the geometry of the bike, but one can make at least some adjustments to the stem. But with the wrong bike, that will not be enough. That's the main reason I can't really ride some of my earlier bikes any longer. For a comfortable tire pressure, one needs wide rims and wide tires. I wonder how wide your rims actually are. If they are just a bit wider than normal, that won't make such a big difference. And 28mm is still rather narrow - I need 32mm at the back though 28mm are OK for the front. Both on very wide rims. My new carbon wheels are stiffer than my older alloy wheels but that doesn't actually matter as long as the tire pressure is sufficiently low. On the contrary, I find the stiffer wheels to do much better at speed and at distance (less loss of power). I use a Canyon split seat post and that also helps. But by itself it would not be sufficient. Overall it sounds like you may still have the wrong bike and need to find one with an even less aggressive position, a better solution for the seat post and one that can take 32mm tires on wide rims.

Steve T said...

Hi Ludwig, yes, the wider rims/tyres are really the only reason I'm looking at disc brake equipped bikes. I bought the "version 1" of my Ti bike 14 years ago based purely on aesthetics without any thought (or indeed knowledge) to frame geometry. At 56cm top-tube it always felt a bit "long" so when the frame cracked in 2015 I got a warranty replacement and took the opportunity to change to a 55cm - only 1cm change in TT but didn't realize that the head tube was now over 2cm shorter... it's never felt 100% since. Anyway, I have a proper bike fit planned tomorrow which should also inform my choice of a new bike going forward. Thanks !