08 May 2023

Magic Hours on the Honshu End-to-End ride -- Early Morning in Hyogo, Early Evening in Niigata

Many of the most mysterious, spectacular moments I have enjoyed in long-distance cycling in Japan come around the beginning and end of daylight. The light can give a special glow or mysterious feeling to even an ordinary landscape, though it is not always easy to capture this in photographs. Also, these times of day offer a hope of solitude and little-to-no traffic not likely to be found in mid-day.

On my end-to-end ride, my first experience of such a "magic hour" was around dawn of April 28, as I rode through Hyogo Prefecture -- Kasai-shi, Kato-shi, and Nishiwaki-shi.

At Himeji, just before heading Northeast

Dawn at Kasai-shi

A wider angle view

These flowers actually belong to a house out of the photo on the righthand side ... 

Low traffic cycling!


Entering Kato-shi

Along the Kakogawa

Bike and rider take a photo rest

River fog nearby, a high voltage tower emerges

Fog along the Kakogawa, cranes resting on rocks in the river

The last of the fog, less than an hour later.

Azaleas in bloom ... but the magic hour is past.

That evening, as I passed through southern Niigata, after enduring the tunnels west of Itoigawa, I caught just a bit of magic at Benten-iwa, a shrine on a rock just offshore.  But rain was approaching and I was not only exhausted but trying to make decent time before the rain caught me, so could not enjoy the moment as much as I might have.
Looking back at Itoigawa from the bike path that led to the East for a few kilometers

At Benteniwa

This time without the rain in the foreground

A wider angle, darker image


No comments: