07 May 2023

Shimonoseki->Ōmazaki Unsupported Honshu End-to-End Challenge

I completed my longest ride yet over the first half of Golden Week (starting a few days early). I left Shimonoseki (at the SW corner of Honshu) shortly before 9PM on April 26, and 1667.22km later reached Cape Oma (Omazaki) just before 2PM on May 1. That is 5 days and 17 hours later. I rode the Pelso, so the route was designed to be as flat and direct as practical, at the expense of riding a number of major, congested roads. (Routes 2, 4, 7, 8 among others, though not in that order).  I rode the first few segments as much as practical at night. 

At Omazaki - furthest North point of Honshu

Better view of the bike -- Pelso Brevet.

A few days later, starting on April 29, Jerome joined the Tokyo Randonneurs' similar ride for around 40-50 randonneurs. They took a somewhat hillier and less direct route (1900kms) than mine, and it took about one day longer.
Jerome along the Akita coast with Mifune-san

I will add some details of the ride in subsequent posts.

Here are the maps of my 5 "days" as uploaded to Strava.

Day 1


Day 2

Day 3

Day 4 Part 1

Day 4 Part 2

Day 5 Part 1

Day 5 Part 2

Day 6 stub

Continued posts:






No comments: