22 March 2008

Tour de Kyushu [Day 6] : Mount Aso - Beppu [Tour completed]

This ride was actually quite enjoyable. After I made enough failed attempts to find short cuts, I decided not to test my luck again and took the main road from Aso to Beppu (Road 11). The traffic wasnt too bad after all. This length of this stage was 95 km and it included three proper climbs. The first one was less than 10 km away from the start, the second one 30 km. The second climb was the more enjoyable one, with me getting a reward when I reached the summit : a beautiful, indescribable view onto Aso and its surrounding valley(s).








About 40 km outside of Beppu I crossed paths with another (touring) cyclist. Since i was descending fast I only noticed at the last second that it was a foreigner like me. The last climb of the day was just after I passed through Yufuin town. The rest was a nice 15 km descend into Beppu town. There, I did not waste any time and got on with sightseeing. I did the famous "Jigoku" Tour, visiting the famous Onsen / Spa's. namely Onnishibouzo (to see: mud bubbles), Umi-Jigoku (pond of hot, blue water), Yama-Jigoku (steaming mountain), Shiraike (pond of hot, white water) and Chinoike Jigoku (pond of hot, red water).

After checking into my hostel (Khao San Beppu), I took of to find some dinner, after which I had a bath in the well known (if not best known) Onsen in Beppu : Takegawara Onsen.

This is the official end of my "Tour de Kyushu" as I wont be riding / cycling any more around here. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain and i will take the opportunity to  hop on the train to relocate to another city I yet have not been : Hiroshima.

Including the rides within the cities I visited I cycled just over 500 km in 5 days [on the bicycle].

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marek: Congratulations on the ride and thanks for the reports. I hope I get to try a ride in Kyushu sometime, and your report will help to guide me when I do!

Best,

David L.

the ups and downs of a belgian amateur cyclist in tokyo said...

OTSUKARESAMA! FANTASTIQUE ACCOUNT OF AN UNFORGETTABLE SOLO TRIP! Will you be posting pictures on your website?

mob said...

Schoener Trip, liest sich so als wenn es anstrengend gewesen waere aber doch Spass gemacht hat. Das wird Dein Bild von Japan sicherlich im Nachhinein noch einmal mehr beeinflussen. Japan ist mehr als GABBA, eine Bar in Shibuya und diverse Maedels.