30 August 2008

Google Streetview

Pretty amazing, Google streetview had made in to Japan. The previous link connects to the help page, where one can get acquainted with the basic functionality of the software.

Now we can find out, if small white lines on a map are asphalt roads or dirt tracks and we do not need to rely on the self-confidence of Juliane alone.

Let's see, here are some cycling highlights from our weekly tours and long tradition. It is easy to copy and paste links on a blog page. See here:

One of our Positivo members used to live here.
Our bakery in Ome.
Approach to Okutamako.
A common target.

It is also possible to paste photos onto blog sites. Let's see if Tom is already waiting at Sekidobashi.


大きな地図で見る


I read about Google street view perhaps one or two years ago and found it rather uninteresting. I have to change my mind. I am feeling like Alexander Bell, inventor of the telephone, who said about his invention along the lines: "I believe I do not exaggerate, if a telephone will be installed in every major American city within 20 years."

1 comment:

David Litt said...

Google streetview is a bit controversial, like the photo where they caught a house on fire, ... an image that is no longer available but can be seen here:

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2008/08/google-streetvi.html

... or the ones that used to picture Stanford students sunbathing ...

The National Security types have persuade Google not to map the Washington DC area with Streetview ... and there is something a bit intrusive about the idea, even though the photos are all taken from public streets.

I'm waiting for them to come up with software that combines my GPS cyclometer with Streetview and a big flat screen TV, so on a rainy day I can take a ride in the countryside on a trainer without ever leaving my house.